October 2011 Disney World Trip Report, Pt V

The previous night we had gone to bed at 1:30 am, and it’s really a good thing we didn’t stay up any later. Perhaps it was workout we got from wearing those hot costumes (that likely became heavier as the night wore on, as they soaked up sweat), but we were both fairly tired the next morning.

Still, when it’s time to get up, it’s time to get up. Once I wake up, no matter how tired my body tells me it is, I’m can’t go back to bed. If I do, the result is always just lying there, thinking about random things. So, when I woke up at 7 am the next morning, it was time to start the day.

I began by heading to Old Port Royale, again taking my cameras and refillable mug to start the day with some photography and caffeine.

I made this a much shorter trip than the previous day. I had captured a lot of photos the previous day, and my path was the same, so I didn’t see many new things to capture. I did, however, decide to put my hesitance aside and head over the pool. I am normally reluctant to take photos around pools because there are people in bathing suits walking around, while I have a bunch of camera gear and am fully clothed. I don’t want people thinking I’m the sleazy photog/paparazzi trying to capture photos of scantily-clad individuals. Not sure if this is actually what people think, but it’s always in the back of my head.

Anyway, I wanted to get some cool photos of the canons in the pool. These canons are really close to the edge of the pool. I had very little room to navigate. As I’m bending down to take my shot, a little kid comes running around the site of one of the canons, almost colliding with me. Even though my camera is water sealed, I’m pretty sure it couldn’t handle falling into the pool, so I quickly ended this mission after narrowly averting disaster.

After that, I headed inside and deliberated as to whether I wanted to purchase breakfast. I ultimately decided on just taking pictures of food I saw, which, curiously enough, is not as filling or tasty as actually consuming food.

When I arrived back at our room, I got ready, and we headed to the bus stop. Again, we were spending the morning at Epcot. Since it was Food & Wine Festival, we planned on spending a lot of time there.

After we headed through the turnstiles, I suggested to Sarah that maybe she could get FastPasses for Soarin’ while I took some photos of Spaceship Earth. The sun was still at a decent point in the sky for photos, so I figured I ought to grab a few.

With Sarah busy for at least 10 minutes, I went wild with my cameras. I probably took over 100 photos of Spaceship Earth in that short time, and had a blast in the process. I can only imagine some local watching me snap so many frames, thinking, “silly tourist.”

When Sarah was done getting the FastPasses, she headed towards World Showcase, which was only about 30 minutes from opening. She picked up a Food & Wine gift card while I fiddled with my camera. I had noticed some spots in a couple photos I had taken the previous day, so I took a few photos of the sky. Sure enough, there were tons of little spots. I didn’t have my rocket blower, so I used the camera’s self-clean function.

I later discovered that my D7000 was putting oil on the high-pass filter above the sensor, which could only be removed by a professional. Or, in my case, an idiot with some household items and some swabs from Hong Kong. Yep, I actually cleaned it myself with sensor wet-swabs. These swabs left streaks that I removed with a Q-Tip. Luckily, I removed the oil and didn’t ruin the camera in the process. I was so reluctant to send the camera to Nikon (I’ve heard nothing but bad things about their service) that I actually risked my thousand dollar camera. Well, no one can accuse me of not being a risk-taker, at least!

Once Sarah purchased her gift card, which of course was a must purchase thanks to its fashionable wrist strap, we debated what to do next.

Well, it wasn’t really much of a debate. Like the people we drive past at 6:45 am in the rough parts of ton outside liquor stores, Sarah decided to line up for the Desserts and CHAMPAGNE stand. Lush.

In all fairness, she didn’t actually buy any alcohol, but I thought it was pretty funny to see her standing in line outside of a closed alcohol kiosk. I suppose my sense of humor is a little warped. Again, she purchased the Dessert Trio. This was a really smart move.

As we thought about whether we’d head towards Mexico or Canada, we both realized that we were really hungry. Since it would probably cost $278 for each of us to get a filling meal from the snack kiosks, we decided to instead head to Sunshine Seasons. It pained us to eat “regular” counter service food during Food & Wine Festival, but at least it was from one of our favorite restaurants at Walt Disney World, it wasn’t exactly a brutal blow.

Sarah had some sort of weird goat curry and rice. It didn’t really make sense to me, as I have been attempting to have her try Tangierine Cafe for a while, and she has always resisted. Yet, she ordered the very cuisine they serve there at Sunshine Seasons! I opted for the more delicious choice, the chicken. Part of me still wonders if I should have gotten the Turkey and Monterey Jack Cheese sandwich.

There are multiple pages in this Walt Disney World trip report installment. Navigate to the next page below!

15 Responses to “October 2011 Disney World Trip Report, Pt V”
  1. Laura July 5, 2012
  2. Tank November 3, 2011
  3. Leah B. October 27, 2011
  4. John B October 26, 2011
  5. BreaPhotog October 26, 2011
  6. weepstah October 25, 2011
  7. Gordon October 25, 2011
    • Tom Bricker October 25, 2011
      • Gordon October 26, 2011
  8. Lindsay October 25, 2011
  9. Samuel L. C. October 25, 2011
  10. Gunner's Mate October 25, 2011
    • Tom Bricker October 25, 2011
  11. Ju-osh October 24, 2011
  12. CJ Balogh October 24, 2011

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *